Aaron Lee Shaw, Esq
Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio Estate Planning Lawyer
Aaron founded Shaw & Nelson, PLLC, to focus his practice on estate planning and business law He also accepts a limited number of probate and elder law cases. Before practicing law, Lee enjoyed a long career as an insurance executive. As a veteran of the US Navy, Aaron also understands the importance of service and the unique challenges veterans face working through the often complex world of the veterans’ administration. As a father of two special needs children, he learned about special needs planning first hand, without having the benefit of legal education. Along the way, he learned how little information is readily available and how confusing special needs planning can be.
Aaron completed his undergraduate education at Penn State, where he graduated with a 4.0-grade point average and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa national honor society. After that, he completed a Master of Business Administration at Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania and then a Juris Doctor at the University of Louisville, where he graduated with honors, and finally a Master of Laws focused specifically in Estate Planning and Elder Law, where he studied the unique structure of wealth transfer and taxation. Aaron was an active member of the academic community and served in various campus organization leadership positions.
Aaron has served as a clerk for the Kentucky Court of Appeals and completed two internships with the Legal Aid Society. He also clerked for a small law firm. Upon graduation, Lee passed the Bar exam in both Indiana and Kentucky. He began his formal practice of law as an attorney for the Indiana Department of Child Services. As a child services attorney, Lee was involved in litigating complex family law matters and administrative proceedings.
Aaron is an active member of the Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky Bar Associations. He also holds membership in the Solo Practice, Wills Estates and Trusts Section, and Family Law Section of the Bar. Aaron is also a member of the Kentucky Justice Association, Louisville Bar Association.
Aaron is a member of Congregation Adath Jeshurun and enjoys spending time with his children and grandchildren as they discover new things in his spare time. His family enjoys traveling both domestically and internationally and experiencing new cultures.
Kentucky Justice Association
- Aaron has been a frequent presenter through the KJA on topics that relate to property and casualty claims
- 2019 Claim Evaluation
- 2020 Large Loss Claim Assessment
- 2021 The Claim Code – Adjuster Negotiation
Legal Aid Society
- 2019 Special Education, the IEP and Due Process
- Aaron is a frequent presenter of topics that are important and timely for the senior community both locally and on the national level.
- Homelessness Crisis among the Elderly
- Estate Planning Essentials
- Special Needs Trust
- Probate Basics
- Medicaid avoiding the Crisis
American Bar Association
* Kentucky State Bar
* Kentucky Bar Association
* Louisville Bar Association
* Indiana State Bar
* Indiana Bar Association
* Northern District of Indiana
* Southern District of Indiana
Admitted to Practice pending formal admission
- Legum Magister (LL.M) Master of Laws – Western New England School of Law
- Estate Planning and Elder Law
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) – University of Louisville
- cum laude
- Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) – Shippensburg University of Penn.
- Bachelor of Humanities – Pennsylvania State University
- summa cum laude